JOB DESCRIPTION FOR MANAGER POSITION Central Brown County Water Authority
Central Brown County Water Authority
The Central Brown County Water Authority is a Joint Local Water Authority formed in accordance with Wisconsin State Statute 66.0823. It purchases treated water from Manitowoc Public Utilities and provides treated water wholesale to the City of De Pere; Villages of Allouez, Bellevue and Howard; and the Towns of Lawrence and Ledgeview through 65 miles of Authority-owned transmission main. The six communities each appoint a single Board member with equal voting rights. The Manager is responsible to the Board. The Board meets monthly with special meetings called as necessary. A Technical Committee meets in advance of each Board meeting to review operations and plan and evaluate capital improvements for Board consideration.
The current Manager will be retiring end of April, 2018 and the Board wishes to provide a period of overlap. The Manager is the sole staff position and oversees the work of various contracted professional service providers. The Manager consults with the Authority's contracted engineer, Manitowoc Public Utilities and other specialists regarding the entire system, acting upon and/or reporting the recommendations to the Board of Directors.
The Manager reports monthly to the Board of Directors regarding activities, problems, purchases, and needs, making recommendations to, and asking advice and consent from, that body. The Manager conveys and carries out Board policy, instructions, and recommendations and serves as liaison with Authority members, Manitowoc Public Utilities, the Authority Engineer, and various other contractors and service and professional people.
The Manager shall, so far as is practical, conduct the business of the Authority in such a way that all members receive equal service and treatment. The Manager shall deposit or cause to be deposited in a bank selected by the Board, all money belonging to the Authority; maintain records and accounts in such a manner that the true and correct condition of the Authority may be ascertained therefrom at any time; furnish the Board a current statement of the business and affairs of the Authority at each scheduled meeting of the Board and at the end of each fiscal year and at such other times and in such forms as the Board may direct; carefully preserve all books, records, documents, and correspondence pertaining to the business of the Authority; and to perform such other duties as may be prescribed by the Board.
In recent years, Authority members have collaborated on various water related projects resulting in significant savings for participants. The Authority has served as a coordinator and facilitator in bringing some of these efforts to fruition. Based on the success of these efforts, there has been increased interest in expanding collaborative efforts and in considering regional solutions. Individual members have cooperated with Green Bay Water on various projects and have purchased services in lieu of self-performance. The Authority and Green Bay Water have begun discussion related to other potentially mutually beneficial opportunities.
The Authority recently completed a strategic plan that calls for an increased focus on collaboration and a thorough evaluation of shared service opportunities and potentially the eventual creation of a regional water utility, either independently or in conjunction with Green Bay Water. The Manager will be responsible for leading the implementation of the Strategic Plan. Major initiatives include:
- Development of an Asset Management Plan
- Assisting members in planning and implementing increased collaboration and sharing of services
- Movement toward a regional approach to water services
- Attraction of new members
- Continued focus on operational efficiency
The position requires:
- A bachelor’s degree in engineering, public administration, business or related field with a minimum of 5 years in a senior management role. Working knowledge of water systems strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with, and ability to effectively use, Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Experience with QuickBooks desired.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to positively promote the organization and comfort speaking before groups.
- Ability to maintain confidential and sensitive information
- Ability to effectively communicate in written and verbal forms, especially with respect to highly technical subjects.
- Ability to work independently.
- A valid driver’s license.
Specific duties include:
- Budget development and management
- Capital improvement planning
- Calculation of member fees and charges
- Preparation of Financial reports to the Board
- Banking and oversight of investments
- Purchasing, invoicing and payment of bills
- Initiation and management of professional contracts
- Compliance with member agreements
- Management of service contract with Manitowoc Public Utilities
- Champion strategic Initiatives and seek new strategic opportunities
- Represent the Authority to members, at public meetings and to the media
- Maintain effective interactions and good working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Keep abreast of current “state of the art” utility operations and regulations
- Perform other duties as needed
The Manager will be expected to attend appropriate training seminars and seek out additional technical assistance, whether that is financial, management or operations-related. The Manager should maintain a positive image as a representative of the Central Brown County Water Authority.
Salary and Benefits
By request, the current manager has worked schedules ranging from 20-32-hours weekly supplemented by consulting assistance. The Authority is expanding the position to full time but is willing to consider alternative schedules based on the needs and qualifications of the successful applicant.
The position is salaried with compensation commensurate with experience and qualifications and offers a flexible fringe benefit package.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to Sarah Burdette, President, Central Brown County Water Authority, 3700 Dickinson Road, De Pere, WI 54115 or email@example.com
Position open until filled.